Recycling Extravaganza is a special collection event for hard to recycle items. Typically, this event has been held in conjunction with the annual St. Louis Earth Day Festival. This year, Recycling Extravaganza will take place on its own day, Sunday, April 3rd to kick off Earth Month!
Start planning your spring cleaning now! For a list of items that will be collected at this year’s Recycling Extravaganza, please visit:
2016 Tips for Participating:
- DO NOT DROP OFF MATERIALS EARLY. COLLECTORS MUST BE PRESENT TO ACCEPT MATERIALS.
- DO NOT bring materials that are not on the list. If there is no one accepting an item you bring to the event, please keep it in your car.
- Alkaline batteries will NOT be collected at Recycling Extravaganza because it costs too much money to recycle them and Missouri does not designate them as a hazardous material in modern landfills – some Batteries Plus locations accept small amounts but this is more of “good will” gesture than true recycling. (read more at the Green Resource Answer Service)
- ABSOLUTELY NO chemicals, household hazardous waste, paints or liquids.
- Household Hazardous Waste is NOT collected at Recycling Extravaganza because there are two facilities dedicated and permitted to handle this material in the St. Louis area.
- For more information on recycling chemicals, hazardous waste, paint, etc. visit their website St. Louis Household Hazardous Waste website or contact the Missouri Botanical Garden’s Green Resources Answer Service.
- *UPDATE!! Midwest Recycling Center will need to charge participants for CRT TVs (glass). Cost is $20 for CRT TVs under 27 inches and $40 for CRT TV’s over 28 inches. Consoles, DLP and Rear Projection TVs will cost $50 each to recycle. CRT monitors will cost $5 each to recycle. LED, LCD or Plasma TV’s and LED Monitors are collected for free. See their website for more information: midwrc.net
- Participant Map and Survey: Pack smart! Load your car so that you will be able to access items as you pass the collection points, as ordered below. Download and print our site map and survey HERE and bring it with you to REX.
- Check back often as this listing may change before the event.