Recycling Extravaganza: REX!
Sunday, April 3, 2016
10 am – 2 pm – New date and time!
St. Louis Community College – Forest Park Campus, 5600 Oakland Avenue (map)
Free* | Open to the public | Bring only items listed below(update to follow)
The Recycling Extravaganza, a collection event for hard-to-recycle items in its sixth year, will be on its very own day to kick off the 2016 Earth month for St. Louis Earth Day! Below is a list of items that were collected in 2015, including everything from CFL light bulbs and bicycles to used shoes and small appliances. Start collecting and planning your spring cleaning accordingly.
Recycling Extravaganza will be a celebratory kick-off this year to Earth Month! In honor of the occasion, the Pi Pizzeriafood truck will be on site from 11am to 1pm. Come join us at the celebration!
2016 Tips for Participating:
- DO NOT DROP OFF MATERIALS EARLY. COLLECTORS MUST BE PRESENT TO ACCEPT MATERIALS.
- DO NOT bring materials that are not on the list. If there is no one accepting an item you bring to the event, please keep it in your car.
- Alkaline batteries will NOT be collected at Recycling Extravaganza because it costs too much money to recycle them and Missouri does not designate them as a hazardous material in modern landfills – some Batteries Plus locations accept small amounts but this is more of “good will” gesture than true recycling. (read more at the Green Resource Answer Service)
- ABSOLUTELY NO chemicals, household hazardous waste, paints or liquids.
- Household Hazardous Waste is NOT collected at Recycling Extravaganza because there are two facilities dedicated and permitted to handle this material in the St. Louis area.
- For more information on recycling chemicals, hazardous waste, paint, etc. visit their website St. Louis Household Hazardous Waste website or contact the Missouri Botanical Garden’s Green Resources Answer Service.
- *UPDATE!! Midwest Recycling Center will need to charge participants for CRT TVs (glass). Cost is $20 for CRT TVs under 27 inches and $40 for CRT TV’s over 28 inches. Consoles, DLP and Rear Projection TVs will cost $50 each to recycle. CRT monitors will cost $5 each to recycle. LED, LCD or Plasma TV’s and LED Monitors are collected for free. See their website for more information: midwrc.net
- Participant Map and Survey: Pack smart! Load your car so that you will be able to access items as you pass the collection points, as ordered below. Download and print our site map and survey (here) and bring it with you to REX.
- Check back often as this listing may change before the event